INDIANAPOLIS, INDIANA (June 30, 2021) – In an effort to create more consistency on uniforms and to allow for more decipherable patches, the NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel (PROP) approved the following permanent rules change for all sports effective with the 2021-22 seasons:
- Increase the maximum size of conference, institutional, commemorative, memorial and social justice patches from 2¼ to 4 square inches in all sports, with the exception of football and swimming and diving.
- In football, patches must not exceed 16 square inches in area.
- In swimming and diving, patches must not exceed 9 square inches in area.
- The number of allowable patches on the uniform remains unchanged.
- Patches are still required to be in the proper location on the uniform per each sport’s playing rules.
- In accordance with NCAA Bylaw 12.5.4, manufacturer’s logos in all sports remain restricted to a maximum of 2¼ square inches.